Re: Oracle On Linux -- Install Is Just Aweful !!!

From: GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/03/05

Peter wrote:
> and from what i've read... Linux development at Oracle is even done
> using RedHat... but you can't even give us a CD set that works
> without having me go thru all this crap ???
>
> So.... Hey Oracle... the Oracle RDBMS on Linux can be a really great
> thing... Get your act together !!!!

Unless things have changed since I last looked, Oracle does not offer support for their db on linux. Since Oracle makes most of their money from support and production licensing (and who would license a production database if there is no support), their implementation on linux is pretty bad and will remain so until they chose to offer support. After that, it will get remarkably better during install and subsequent use.
This may occur sooner rather than later as I believe SuSE is in the process of getting their distro certified by Oracle so it can be supported.
Until then, there will be justified gnashing of teeth and swearing at Oracle (well, more so than already exists :)

Cheers,
GC Received on Sun Mar 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CST