Re: SQL*Loader and LONG fields - Part 2 - Help

From: <jrt915_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/03/04

In article <38C0C246.13666A8F_at_uscreative.com>,   "Michael C. Wilkerson" <Mike.Wilkerson_at_uscreative.com> wrote:
> unfortunately I've still got the problem following problem with some
> tables:
>
> SQL*Loader log file:
> Field in data file exceeds maximum length

I was able to get this to work for me, at least for input strings 4K or less, but greater than 255 bytes. Over 4K I got an SQL loader error. But this got rid of the "Field in data file exceeds maximum length" error for me. This was done in an 8.05 database.

In my load control file I specified the maximum size of the input string. It appears that the default maximum. I played with it a bit and specified a value of a really large number (like 15000). It would still only accept a string 4K or less in size.

load data
infile 'data/jeff.dat'
into table jeff replace
fields terminated by ','
(

       col_nm,
       updt_stmp,
       description char(4000)  -- this column is described as a CLOB
)

By the way, I understand with 8I you can specify a record terminator other than a carriage return for sqlloader. You may want to check the docs. Maybe this would keep you from having to run your sql plus program after a load. I have not worked with 8I yet so I'm not sure how it works.

Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Mar 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CST