Re: export/import

From: <ccyr6798_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/03

without unique, you'll just import the same records you just exported back into the same table, causing duplicate records. is your goal to backup the data? use export. is the goal to reorg the schema? export, drop schema(or table), import. hope you've got a dev environment to try this a few times...

In article <89objo$b49$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   raju_pillai_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> what if my table does not have a unique key or unique index and so it
> can contain duplicate records inserted by applications. I read in the
> book that, i can do reord using export/import, if i am doing that in
> this case, then I may have double records each time, i reorg it. Is
> there any other way to do the export/import without having to insert
> duplicate rows ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> In article <38BECAA6.556B8ECB_at_Unforgetable.com>,
> K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com> wrote:
> > raju_pillai_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Folks, I am trying to user export and import as a mode of backing
 up
> > > data for the tables owned by a specific user. But when I import
 the
 data
> > > back to the tables, I get duplicate rows. How can I eliminate
 this ?
> > > Below are the example of export and import commands I am using :
> > > EXPORT:
> > > exp system/manager rows=y consistent=y grants=n indexes=n
 constraints=n
> > > owner=X file=/oraclebackup/plvwdbX.bkp record=y
> > >
> > > IMPORT:
> > > imp system/manager file=/oraclebackup/plvwdbX.bkp rows=y grants=n
> > > indexes=n touser=X fromuser=X ignore=y
> > >
> > > What am i missing here ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Raju
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> >
> > You need to have a unique key on each table and you need a unique
> > You should go ahead and export tables, rows, grants and constraints.
 If you
> > perform an import you will receive errors for dup val on index, but
 you can
> > ignore these messages.
> >
> > Otherwise what you need to do is truncate the table before you do
 the
> > import.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CST