Re: CHECKPOINTS

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: 2000/03/02

Hi Craig,

Here is proof of the timing error ...

### start craig.lst ###
SQL> select time_waited from v$system_event where event = 'PL/SQL lock timer';

no rows selected

SQL> set timing on
SQL> execute sys.dbms_lock.sleep(10);

 real: 10245
SQL> select time_waited from v$system_event where event = 'PL/SQL lock timer';

EVENT                                                            TIME_WAITED
---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
PL/SQL lock timer                                                       1024
### end craig.lst ###

Also, have a look at the table on page 14 where you show the time_waited going up by 100 for each second in the seconds_in_wait column.

The unit of time is important for a lot of reasons. Two significant ones are that it would cause you to understate waiting time relative to wall clock / elapsed time by a factor of ten. Similarly, it may cause you to overlook an average wait of 15.3 for 'db file sequential read' as within the disk manufacturers specifications for random reads, whereas in fact this represents a severe I/O problem.

The next most important error is that you suggest that 'buffer busy waits' have something to do with block cloning. That could lead people down some totally unproductive blind alleys. Other than that, the concept of a wait timeout is wrongly explained, and there are numerous typographical errors in the names of the events, and other things. Prehaps, more significant is the omission of any mention of CPU time, and the claim that a session is always waiting.

I'll leave it at that.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/