Re: Performance Tuning

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/02/29

Al,

> I have attached a copy of my current init file, I have increased the 2 redo
> logs to 10 MB each, and 3 of the rollback segments to 5 Mb each (though I
> guess they should grow anyway if they needed to).
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions, or perhaps testing strategies that i could
> try to narrow the problem down?

First of all, you'll probably want more than two redo logs. This is especially true if you are running in ARCHIVEMODE.

Second, you'll want to start by tuning your SQL statments. Visit V$SQLAREA and see which queries have a high number of DISK_READS/EXECUTIONS. Then use EXPLAIN PLAN on those SQL statments to figure out how to make them run better. Also, is your OPTIMIZER set to CHOOSE? If so, how often do you ANALYZE your tables?

There are lots of things to take into consideration when tuning. This is just a start.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at