Re: string manipulation in procedures

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: 2000/02/28

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:01:10 +0000, kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote:
>
> >Hi,

[snip]

> >- Kev
> >

> What you want is dynamic sql. AFAIK you can't just combine a REF
> CURSOR with dynamic sql. You could do something similar with dynamic
> sql, however your procedure is going to return a cursor handle only,
> fetching and looping needs to be done separately.

But can I integrate the user-supplied query into another query string which I can then execute?

I am using PHP, I can return and use a cursor no problem. I just need to be able to do that query in the procedure.

thanks,

PS - What is Dynamic SQL? Do I have to spend money to get it? PPS - Why do Oracle make it so difficult to do this when free DBs such as MySQL make it as easy as "select this from that LIMIT 20,10"? Received on Mon Feb 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CST