ORACLE Advanced Replication Question: Modifying a Master Object and Corresponding Updatable Snapshot

From: Aamir Abbas <aabbas_at_intervoice.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:03:37 -0600

If I want to modify a master table, e.g., increase the width of a column, how can I modify a corresponding updatable snapshot?

Do I need to drop and recreate the snapshot? What if I have a billion rows in my master table or if the snapshot is in production and is supposed to be accessible 24 * 7? This solution is not so feasible.

                      OR

Can I simply modify (increase the column width on) the underlying SNAP$ table for the snapshot? What are the implications?

I was under the impression that the dbms_repcat.alter_master_repojbect procedure should modify an object at the master as well as the snapshot sites, but apparently this is not true because I tried it and it does not work. I also used the do_deferred_repcat_admin to push the changes on Oracle's recommendation but that didn't help either.

I'll appreciate any help on this.

P.S. Oracle does not appear to have any solution other than dropping and re-creating the snapshot. Received on Wed Feb 23 2000 - 17:03:37 CST