Re: Uncommited insert blocks update?

From: Lothar Armbüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 23 Feb 2000 22:10:19 +0100

Jonathan Lewis wrote at 21-Feb-00 21:39:50 on the subject Re: Uncommited insert blocks update?:

>Could you clarify this slightly -

>Are you saying that an update statement
>from one session attempting to update
>a row inserted but not yet committed
>by another session appeared to hang
>waiting for the commit/rollback ?

Yes that is what I observed. I had no time to check this exactly. I didn't have a look at v$lock_wait (or what it is called :-) When the insert was done the updates weren't blocked anymore. So I guessed that the insert blocked the updates.

I just tried to reproduce the scenario. The only situation where an insert blocks an update I could reproduce is an update trying to set a uniquely indexed column to a value inserted but not committed by another session. this i not the excat situation that I observed earlier but it shows the general possibility of an insert blocking an update. Maybe I have to test this in more detail...

Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Hauptstr. 26            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de