Re: Locally managed tablespaces

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:00:10 +0800

Bill Marcus wrote:

> I've read in the "New Features" blurbs about "locally managed tablespaces",
> in which each tablespace takes care of space allocation to segments using a
> bitmap of freespace. It promises to free us from having to specify storage
> parameters, I imagine a la SQL Server. Any experience with this, especially
> any reports of this feature being prone to problems?
>
> I also don't see any support for this with the latest version of Enterprise
> Manager.

Having locally managed tspaces doesn't free you up from good sizing planning, but it should alleviate contention on FET$ and UET$. That is, a bozillion extents isn't a good idea whether you used locally managed tspaces or not...

I don't think the bitmap used is cached so it may be wise to keep the SYSTEM tablespace as conventionally managed, and use local management for your other tablespaces.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse Received on Wed Feb 23 2000 - 05:00:10 CST