Insert - integrity constraint violation

From: ZC <zuin_chn_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:57:58 GMT

 Need help,

I have two tables. When I do an insert into table A, I get a message stating: integrity constraint (DATBASE1.A_FK_B) violated - parent key not found. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong that prevents me from entering the data into the table? The referenceor, referencee column are suposed to have the same type of data.

I was thinking of some type of cascade insert, but I'm not sure oracle supports a cascade insert.

Thanks for your input
ZC

column1      NUMBER NOT NULL,
column2      VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL,
column3      VARCHAR2(20) NULL,
column4      VARCHAR2(20)  NULL

columnA      NUMBER NOT NULL,
columnB      VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL,

ALTER TABLE A
  ADD (CONSTRAINT A_pk

       PRIMARY KEY (column1));
ALTER TABLE B
  ADD (CONSTRAINT B_pk

       PRIMARY KEY (columnA));

ALTER TABLE A
  ADD (CONSTRAINT
A_fk_B

       FOREIGN KEY (column4)
       REFERENCES B);

--
Someone pass a cork to plug the hole in my head

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 16:57:58 CST