Oracle on WinNT Installation - 2 questions

From: Geoffrey Elbo <gselbo_at_mmm.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2000 21:14:51 GMT

Hello.

I am currently installing Oracle 8i on a Dual Processor P III Xeon 600 with 1GB of RAM. I currently have 100 GB of Hard Drive space on the server, and another 100 GB in an expandable storage unit, connected to the server via fiber optic cable.

I have read a great deal of information on this, but cannot find answers to two questions:

  1. Should NT be set up as a Stand-Alone server or a Backup Domain Controller? It is the third NT box in the system, so it is not imperative that it be a domain controller.
  2. I saw an article in the newgroup stating the RAID should be set up as RAID 0+1 instead of RAID 5. Would this go for both the Server and the Storage unit, or just where I want to store databases? Here's what I was thinking:
    	A 2GB area for WinNT 4.0 and
    	A 98 GB area for Oracle system Software
        on the server storage

    	A 100 GB (50GB if RAID 0+1) data area for storing databases

Any help is appreciated.

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer. Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:14:51 CST