5 stupid (?) questions regarding OAS 4081

From: Martin Vonk <mwvonk_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:05:00 +0100

Hello Folks,

It might be a surprise to you all :-), but I'm a bit frustrated about Oracle Support. I had/have 5 simple / stupid (?) questions regarding OAS (4.0.8.1). All the answers I got, where unsatisfactory. So I 've put hem in the waste basket.

Questions:

  1. OAS 4.0.8.1 and Oracle 8i The OAS 4081 release notes state: "Note that 7.3.4 and 8.1.5 are certified for use with OAS 4.0.8.1, but they must not be installed on the same NT machine as OAS." Is this true or not ? If so, why can this combination not run on one machine ? Does anyone has other experiences with it ?
  2. OAS 4.0.8.1 makes use of an Oracle Installer. Is it a Y2K compliant one or not.? If it isn't, can somebody give me an idea how to use the Y2K compliant installer in combination with the setup / installation procedure.
  3. Is OAS 4.0.8.1 a new release which can be run indepedently from OAS 4.0.7 ? (OAS 408 is half the size in MB of OAS 407). I assume so, but the installation manual (pdf) suggests otherwise.
  4. Can somebody describe, in plain (non technical) English, what OAS (4.0.8.1) is actually doing ?. (I could install OAS 407/Oracle 805 and it worked.) But if people asked me what it was actually doing, I could not give an adequate answer like with eg Forms: "It's a tool by which you can retrieve data from a database and insert new data into a database by means of user friendly interface."
  5. What is the difference in functionality with respect to Web applications between WebDB and OAS ?

Thanks in advance

Martin Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:05:00 CST