Re: TEXT_IO does not work

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:13:57 -0500

A copy of this was sent to smathur9_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:44:43 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to use the built in package TEXT_IO using Procedure Builder
>6.0 which uses PL/SQL version 2.3.4.5. The oracle version is 7.3.4
>
>Here is what I wrote for test:
>
>PROCEDURE FILE_IO
>IS
>out_file TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE;
>BEGIN
>out_file := text_io.Fopen ('testfile.txt','W');
>text_io.Put('This is a test...');
>text_io.fclose(out_file);
>END;
>
>When compiled it says identifier TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE, TEXT_IO.PUT,
>TEXT_IO.FCLOSE must be declared.
>
>Please tell me why it is not recognizing the package. Thanks in advance
>for your help.

text_io is the client side io package. It sounds like you might very well be trying to compile this into the database. The server side package is named UTL_FILE. It writes files on the server only. Text_IO writes files on the client only.

>Sheetal
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 14:13:57 CST