Encrypting ODBC drivers?

From: Max Birkett <max_at_spam.off.rom-ict.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:55:23 GMT

Hi all,

I'm writing a web application which talks ODBC to an Oracle database. The Oracle ODBC FAQ at...

http://www.doag.org/mirror/frank/faqodbc.htm#SECURE

mentions that ODBC drivers are inherently insecure...

> How secure is ODBC?
> Any ODBC sniffer will be able to trace everything from an
> ODBC perspective. This includes data, usernames, passwords
> etc. However, if you are using an ODBC driver that provides
> encryption, you can increase your level of security

I had a quick search and found some encrypting drivers on the OpenLink website. All I'm after is an encrypting ODBC driver set for Oracle 8i and Win NT/2000, but these seem rather expensive.

I don't mean to start a war, but I'd appreciate advice on suitable driver vendors and whether the drivers provided are appropiate for my needs.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Max Birkett
Rom ICT Solutions Ltd
Martins Building, Water Street,
Liverpool UK, L2 3SP
Tel (44) 0151 236 9966
Fax (44) 0151 236 9779 Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:55:23 CST