Re: Resouce busy error and indexes

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:52:51 +0800

robertchung0909_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> While there are user sessions accessing database, I am trying to build
> small indexes, only to get following error.
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified
>
> I get this error even after I lock the table in exclusive mode, and I
> do not want to kick the users out or go through database maintenance
> outage for a couple of small indexes. Is there something that I can
> do? Thank you in advance.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Someone must have an outstanding transaction. Take a look at V$LOCK

In 8i you can rebuild indexes "online" which means that users can still modify the table as the index is rebuilt (although there must be 'quiet' time at start and end of the build)

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"Beta, n: Latin for 'still does not work'" Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 03:52:51 CST