Please help, I'm an idiot

From: Greg Akins <gakinsNOgaSPAM_at_gatewayhealthplan.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:39:11 -0800

Hi,

I just started messing around with Oracle8 on a Linux box. I've set up a couple databases before, but really on have some minimal DBA skills.

This morning I dropped a rollback segment and when I tried to restart the database it bombed because it couldn't find the segment.

What should I do:

  1. I don't think I can create the rollback segment, since the database won't get any farther than 'MOUNTED'.
  2. Can I edit the startup scripts to get the database to stop looking for those segments.
  3. Should I just recreate the database and start over.

I didn't establish any backup/recovery scheme. However, I also don't have much to lose.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

-greg