LIMITing output

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:59:27 +0000

Hi,

I've been trying to find out for a while how to select the Nth M rows from a resultset, for the purpose of paginating results on a web page, eg show news stories 1-10 on the first page, user clicks 'More', gets news stories 11-20, etc.

I never found a way to do it in Oracle 8.0.5 (mainly because of ORDER BY clauses not being allowed in subqueries) but I was told that 8i would be better for this because it does allow ORDER BY clauses in subqueries. I've upgraded to 8i now (on Red Hat 6.1) and a quick test failed to show that ORDER BY clauses in subqueries are indeed supported.

How do you people usually tackle the problem of paginating results on web pages? Does 8i indeed support ORDER BY clauses in subqueries?

TIA,