Re: [alt.solution] Read-only DBA-privileges ?

From: Morten Lange ISL <mortenlange_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:39:09 GMT

In article <88r2fb$q29$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Morten Lange ISL <mortenlange_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to let a user (unix-admin) be able to access various
views (this word was missing in the original post)
> like v$process, v$session, v$sqltext and others,
> without granting write access to anything in
> Oracle (except perhaps private tables).
> Is this possible at all, preferably
> compatible with making sql -requests from within svrmgrl
> (or if need be sqlplus)
>
> TIA,
> Morten Lange
> (If I receive any email answers I'll summarize)

And I did get a reply in email (!) I think I might as well post it straight away (but grant the helpful person anonymity ):

"I faced a similar problem a while back and I worked around it by creating views of the system views. The advantage of this is that the user to whom you grant read privilege on the new views can see only those columns you choose to make available.

For example:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW SYSTEM.DATABASE_LINKS (

    OWNER#,
    NAME,
    CTIME,
    HOST,
    USERID
)
AS
select
owner#, name, ctime, host, userid
from sys.link$

this example allows any user with read privilege on the new view system.database_links to see relevant information about existing database links, but does not allow them to see user passwords stored in sys.link$

I hope this is of help to you,
<Anonymous helper> "

Thanks,
Morten

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 08:39:09 CST