Re: flush database buffer cache

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:56:11 GMT

Marco,

There is no command to flush the database buffer cache like there is for the shared pool. (i.e., ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL;)

The only options are to either shutdown and startup the database or to

checkpoint the system. (ALTER SYSTEM CHECKPOINT;)

Bouncing (shutdown/startup) the database will clear out the database buffer cache and a checkpoint will write dirty blocks to disk but will not clear the memory.

Hope this helps.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:19:59 +0100, Marco Poetke <marco_at_dbs.informatik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>is there a way to flush the database buffer cache of Oracle 8.1.5?
>I think of something that works like the
>
>alter system flush shared_pool;
>
>does for the shared pool.
>

>Marco.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 07:56:11 CST