Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 06:41:11 GMT

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:42:40 -0500, Larry Edelstein <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com> wrote:

>looking at the vendor/db that has been in the TPC top ten cumulatively
>and most consistently.

Nah! That would make sense... <G>

>shared. What does this mean for the database? It means that the database
>must still find a way of "sharing" the data across nodes.

MOL. I'd say the "application" must still find a way of sharing the data it's getting from the multitude of db's. But then we are benchmarking the application, not the db. Or are we not?

>set and return of one unified result set to the requesting user. I don't
>know how Microsoft does it, but the term shared nothing is pretty much
>industry parlance for partitioning of data across nodes, and somehow
>sharing the partitions in some way, shape, or form without having the
>nodes actually share the same RAM or disk.

Don't expect MS to give you a clear explanation. All they'll do is throw in buzzwords like DCOM and such until everyone is completely confused. But a CLEAR, concise explanation of EXACTLY what is the application doing to get all those nodes to talk together and make sense as a whole, you won't get.

You won't get either their explanation of exactly which version and patch level of the software was used to develop all this. Or even if the common mortal user can access and make use of such. But then again, it's MS we are dealing with here...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 00:41:11 CST