Problems Developing Java Applications for OAS and sessions

From: David Rosenboom <drosenboom_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:05:21 GMT

Has anyone tried developing java applications for OAS?

I am new to Oracle DB and OAS and I am told that the latest release of OAS (4.0.8.1) does not support Java Server Pages, and does not support Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) Entity beans but does support EJB Session Beans and Servlets.

I have been trying to create a few test servlets to do the following:

  1. Using static fields, I would like to set values for a static field in one class and be able to access it from anyother class from any user session.
  2. By able to specify a package name for all my servlets.

Originally becuase of problems with 3) I created two servlets with the default package. I set up a static int counter in one servlet which was increment every time the servlet was accessed no matter what user accessed it.

My second servlet again was set up to use the default package (i.e. left out the package line) and simple dumped out the counter value from the first servlet.

Well what was happening was that the second servlet always reported a counter of 0 even though the fist servlet reported a counter > 0. This indicates to me that the second servlet is running in its own JVM.

At one point I manage to get both 1) and 2) working. I added a package line and added the package to the URL so instead of usiing http://host/myservlet I used http://host/com.xyz.myservlet. Then at some point (after adding a new servlet and restartng the server) everything stopped working. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my virtual path and physical path settings.

If I am using the same virtual path for every servlet does the physical path have to point to the same dir?

If I am using the same virtual path and physical path for all my servlets do all the servlets need to be in the same package?

From what I am finding it would seem that OAS is very unstable for java application. I am wondering if anyone has encountered similar problems. Received on Sun Feb 20 2000 - 14:05:21 CST