Re: RMAN - Dropping Tablespaces!!!

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:48:10 -0600

I tried to reproduce this on a test machine using 8.1.5 on NT and found that after RMAN synchronizes itself the "list backup;" command will no longer show the datafiles that were associated with the dropped tablespace. However, one could still recover this tablespace if one performed a point-in-time recovery of the database.

That means that the backupsets themselves are not changed, only the list is updated to show the current structure of the database.

This may be different on your system.

One way to test would be to get a development version of Oracle 8.0.4 from http://technet.oracle.com and place it on a linux box. Create a small dummy production database and a recovery database. Create a new tablespace in the dummy database and insert something in it. Make a backup with the current control file using rman. Drop the tablespace. Note that the rman list backup command no longer shows the datafile. Then recover until the scn associated with the backup that contained the tablespace. You should have the tablespace back again in the new database incarnation.

Frank Hubeny