Re: Does rollback segment matter in the following case?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:18:16 -0600

an "insert" will record (in the rollback segment) the rowid of each row inserted. if the transaction is rolled back, oracle will use the recorded rowid(s) to locate and remove the rows.

"Doug Cowles" <dcowles_at_i84.net> wrote in message news:38b13d2d.13257598_at_news.remarq.com...
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 08:50:45 -0500, Thomas Kyte
<tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
> >A copy of this was sent to shimeng_at_my-deja.com
> >(if that email address didn't require changing)
> >On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:38:25 GMT, you wrote:
> >
> >>If inside one transaction I insert a million records into
some table,
> >>will there be anything written to the rollback segment?
Will the
> >>rollback segment be impacted in this situation? From my
understanding,
> >>the rollback segment is used for storing the old values of
records.

> >Inserts in general will create some undo in the rollback
segment (there are rows
> >to be removed for the rollback -- we store their rowids.
>
> Don't follow... why are any rows removed?
>
> >there are indexes
> >undergoing splits and reshaping -- we store their undo to fix
them in the event
> >of a rollback)
>
> If the table has no indexes of any kind, including any
implicit ones
> built by constraints, then will there be no rollback activity?
>

> >If you are looking for a way to avoid this -- read about
direct path inserts in
> >the Oracle8 server concepts manual.
> >
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Shimeng
> >>

> >>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >>Before you buy.
> >

> >--
> >See http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in
to Oracle8i'...
> >Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions"
updated June 21'st

> >Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> >Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
> >
> >Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
Oracle Corporation