W2k and Oracle 8.1.5? Launch.exe hangs?

From: <myshkin5_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:01:20 GMT

I am trying to get Oracle 8.1.5 to run on Windows 2000. I know very little about Oracle so my problems may have nothing to do with W2k.

I haven't been able to connect to a database using the Oracle ODBC Test tool that came with Oracle. Usually it hangs but once it did report an error (sorry it only did it once and I didn't write down the text). I have also noted that every icon in the start menu that uses launch.exe fires off jrew.exe then hangs. I do have a lot of Java stuff on my system but I have check the jrew.exe process and it doesn't seem to be loading any of it (Oracle is loading several of it's own .jar files and it's own copy of JDK 1.1.7).

Once again since I am just starting with Oracle this problem may have nothing to do with Windows 2000. Any advise anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Feb 19 2000 - 15:01:20 CST