Re: HELP: Recover from inconsistent backups

From: MohammedB <mohammedbNOmoSPAM_at_iadb.org.invalid>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:15:45 -0800

In a nutshell 'No'. You can't take hot backups if you're in noarchivelog mode. What you have are inconsistent data files that need archive log information applied to them to bring the files to a consistent state and since you're not in archivelog mode, you have not saved the archive information.

More specifically, the SCN number in you're datafile headers are out of synch with your current control file SCN. The only way to open up the database in this case is if you have taken a cold backup (with the database shutdown) and restore those and then open up your database.

For really good reading on backups get the Oracle Backup and Recovery (Valupuri) book from Oracle Press and also make use of the real gurus in this group (no, I'm not one of them, but I've learnt a hell of a lot from these folks).

hth

mkb

In article <88jol9$3d5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, schud_at_pegasystems.com wrote:
>Anyone know of a trick to recover from an inconsistent hot
backup taken