Backup question

From: <kachkar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/17

Hi all,

   I am using Oracle 8.1.5, windows NT 4.0 with 1G memory.
we are running OLTP database of 200G. Approximately there is 500000 records
(around 200M) being inserted in the database for each day. The system has 3 major
tables which are partitioned with monthly basis and the whole system contains
2 years data. The partitioned tables are hot tables such that 80% of data changes come from these 3 tables.

wey use dlt7000 backup drive which can backup and restore files with 5G/hr.
The system will be live soon and we need to decide what backup and recovery method we should use :

  1. Online backup - daily incremental;
  2. Online backup - daily backup : one tablespace a day;
  3. Online backup - full database backup (seems that it is not possible for the speed of tape device).
  4. Backup database files once a week and backup archived logs every day.
  5. RMAN or OS level backup.

   We also need to consider the restore and recovery time required when disaster occurrs.

   Do you have any experience on the real-life production systems ? Can you give any idea for this particular production environment.

Regards

Khaled

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CST