Re: Corrupt rollback segment

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

pegasusdba wrote:

> My database (oracle 7.3 on NT) is open but unusable due to corruption
> of the system rollback segment. There are a total of 3 rollback
> segments in the SYSTEM tablespace, each is online. I'm unable to take
> this segment, named 'system', offline to drop.
>
> What is the typical cause and solution for this?
> Please help!

There should only ever be two rollback segments defined in the SYSTEM tablespace. The first one is the SYSTEM rollback segment which must always be present. The second one should be defined with initial/next of 64K or thereabouts and then left in an offline status. It should only be placed online when it is necessary to perform maintenance that involves dropping all other user-defined rollback segments.

All other rollback segments should either be placed in a tablespace of their own or else in tablespaces where other objects are defined.

If your SYSTEM rollback segment is hosed (you didn't say why you suspected that it is corrupt - there should be an error message) then you will probably have to rebuild your database - this time defining user rollback segments elsewhere. Received on Tue Feb 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CST