Data warehouse - one main archive?

From: <pearsonj5998_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:26:54 GMT

I have a non-Oracle data warehouse implemented in 2 logically identical STAR schemas. One holds the data for the current day, the other is the main archive, holding data for years. An 'unload | load' operation is performed every night.

This design was selected due to minimise contention selecting 'old' data to the batch loading of current data (every half hour). Approx 30- 40 Million records are added per day. Queries are generally not directed at the current day's data.

I am porting to Oracle8i and want to partition the main archive into daily partitions. I want to use Direct Loader in fastest possible way and do not require transactional rollback.

  1. Is it really necessary to have two schemas in this context?
  2. If it is, what is the fastest way to perform an Unload-Load operation?

Thanks,
JP

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Feb 14 2000 - 11:26:54 CST