How do you DROP an empty Oracle datafile. ???

From: Kevin A Lewis <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:25:30 GMT

I have a database which has an empty datafile. This has been created in the wrong place to extend an tablespace for index objects. It was noticed that this was the wrong place and then OFFLINE DROPed. I now find no easy way to get rid of the datafile and its reference in the controlfile. It remains in an OFFLINE and RECOVER state.

The database is running in noarchivlog mode and I have tried creating a new controlfile. To my surprise the file would not disappear even though the script derived from 'BACKUP CONTROFILE TO TRACE' had the reference to the offending file removed.

I am running on Oracle 8.0.5 on Compaq Tru64 Unix 4F

Thanks

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United Kingdom)

                        <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>

The views expressed herein by the author of this document are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd. Received on Mon Feb 14 2000 - 11:25:30 CST