Re: [Q] db_block_size: 8K vs 2K default: Why is it better?

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 07:01:14 GMT

Hello Stephen,

The key factors are the I/O cost of index range scans, and the extra rotational latency for partial block writes. If you make extensive use of index range scans, or have a DBWn bottleneck, then the difference is likely to be very noticeable. Otherwise, it may not be. If you have not already seen it, there is a tip on this matter on my web site.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/