Re: Add a user with 'system' privs?

From: GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 05:12:54 GMT

Brice Ruth wrote:
> The problem is I can't even create the user account in question ... don't
> know how. I have a 'Beginner's Guide' to Oracle 8i, which unfortunately
> depends heavily on WebDB being installed. Unfortunately, WebDB appears to
> need access to the "SYS" account (which I imagine would be similar to the
> "SYSTEM" account that currently exists). So - I need to create an Oracle
> account called "SYS" so that the WebDB install can complete correctly. Any
> ideas??

'SYS' is a default account created when you install the database (as is 'SYSTEM'). SYS is the complete owner of the database (very similar to root on unix) and as such is a very powerful account. Do not use SYS unless you absolutely have to.

I seem to recall a developer installing webdb not to long ago at $PLACE_OF_WORK. I had set up an account and granted that account dba privileges, and it seemed to work fine. To do this, log in as user SYSTEM (initial password is MANAGER, unless you have changed it), and execute the command (using sqlplus) 'CREATE USER foo IDENTIFIED BY bar DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP' where foo is the username and bar is the password. Then execute the command 'GRANT CONNECT, RESOURCE, DBA TO foo'. This will create the user and give it dba privs.

If you have to use SYS, the initial password is CHANGE_ON_INSTALL, and I suggest you do this for both SYS and SYSTEM (to do this, log in as SYSTEM, and execute the command 'ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY password' where password is your new password. Do this for system as well.

HTH,
GC Received on Sun Feb 13 2000 - 23:12:54 CST