Re: Oracle using indexes

From: Pascal Glauser <glauser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:19:41 GMT

Hi Jonathan

Do you know the concepts of Oracle concerning reparsing queries with histogrammed columns ? As I understand your post, a query with a bind variable in the where clause is not re-optimized, even if the actual value of the bind-variable changes and there is a histogramm with this column. Is that correct ?

This would be disappointing, since oracle-tools (forms, reports a.s.o.) create a lot of queries with bind-variables, obviously to take advantage of parsed queries in the shared-pool.

Pascal Glauser

In article <950308730.4699.0.nnrp-12.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> ... skip
>
> If the data is very skewed (flags with 99 Yes's for each No)
> then you need to include a histogram on that column with
> the analyze (and write code that does not use bind variables
> against that column).
>
> etc. etc. etc.
>

> ... skip

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Feb 12 2000 - 17:19:41 CST