Re: Oracle 8i, RH 6.1, "not logged on", and FREE BEER

From: Jesus M. Salvo Jr. <jmsalvo_at_ihug.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:19:54 +0000

According to one poster at OTN, it should have been:

        we8iso8859pl (note, that's L not 1)

instead of

        we8iso8859p1

... and it also eventually worked for him while having NLS_LANG set.

Matt Luker wrote:

> In article <87emakn2rc.fsf_at_freebie.evhr.net>, Doeni <doeni_at_evhr.net> wrote:
> >
> > What is your NLS settings looking like. Especially NLS_LANG.
> > The format of the variable should be something like
> > language_territory.characterset (eg. american_america.we8iso8859p1).
> >
> > Check also ORA_NLS33 (should be $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data).
> >
> > To be completely sure there is no corrupt value, unset them both (if
> > they are set) before creating the database.
> >

> DEAR GOD ALMIGHTY! IT WOOOOORRRRKKKKEEED!!!!!!
>
> I unset both the NLS_LANG and the ORA_NLS33, and I got this wonderful
> output:
>
> SVRMGR> spool /usr/local/oracle/product/8.1.5/install/crdb1.log
> SVRMGR> connect internal
> Connected.
> SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile = /usr/local/oracle/product/8.1.5/admin/quark/pfile/initquark.ora
> ORACLE instance started.
> Total System Global Area 23670160 bytes
> Fixed Size 64912 bytes
> Variable Size 6656000 bytes
> Database Buffers 16777216 bytes
> Redo Buffers 172032 bytes
>
> You win. What beer do you want? Email me your address and I will ship it
> to you. Just remove the NOSPAM from the address.
>
> Thank you. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Not to sound melodramatic, but I have
> been struggling with this for a month.
>
> That will teach me to RTFM (I set those variables according to the
> installation instructions I got with my CD). That makes me pretty mad,
> in retrospect--normal I chuck the instructions and muddle through! :-)
>
> Thank you again. You made my week. Really.
>
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Luker
> kostya_at_lucideN.OcomS.PAM
>
> PGP FINGERPRINT:
> C6E7 7209 3A67 B678 FCE4 236A 6DAA 4555 5761 30B1

* Installing Oracle8i on RedHat 6.0:
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/linux/oracle8i.html * DBDependency project:
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/dbdependency/index.html Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 12:19:54 CST