7.3 / 8 incompatible wrt char & varchar2

From: Adrian Hands <AHands_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:20:33 -0500

We're having some compatibility problems between oracle 7.3.4 and oracle 8.0.5.

On 7, if we pass a varchar2 into a procedure that expects a char in, it behaves as a char within the procedure. on 8, it behaves as a varchar2.

This is showing up as a problem in string comparisons because a char, when compared to a string literal ignores trailing blanks whereas a varchar2 is sensitive to trailing blanks.

given:

"myString := 'foo ';"

then

"if myString = 'foo' then"

is true, if myString is a char,
but false if myString is a varchar2 Received on Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:20:33 CST