Re: How does Oracle protect (encrypt) user passwords in Oracle 8?.

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:57:42 GMT

cool your excitement :)

I believe functions cannot insert, update the db:

SQLWKS> create or replace function sec
     2> return number
     3> as
     4> n number;
     5> begin
     6> n:=1;
     7> insert into manager values(10, 10);
     8> return n;
     9> end;
    10> /

Statement processed.
SQLWKS> select sec from dual

     2>
select sec from dual

       *
ORA-06571: Function SEC does not guarantee not to update database

ORA-06571 function name does not guarantee not to update database

Cause: There are two possible causes for this message:

A SQL statement references a packaged PL/SQL function that does not contain a pragma that prevents the database from being updated. A SQL statement references a stand-alone, PL/SQL function that contains an instruction to update the database. Action: If the referenced function is a packaged PL/SQL function: Recreate the PL/SQL function with the required pragma; be certain to include the 'Write No Database State' (WNDS) argument in the argument list of the pragma.

If the referenced function is a stand-alone PL/SQL function: Do not use the function

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:49:24 GMT, javierpf_at_usa.net wrote:

>Rick,
>
>It is great pleasure to talk directly with Oracle's people, specially
>with security colleagues.
>
>Thanks for your soon response.
>
>I wasn't trying to hack the password, if so I know a better method:
>
>1- Set a verification function as Password_verification_function in
>your users profile.
>2- Inside the function, store user name and password passed by
>parameter in a table.
>3- Limit the expiration date of user accounts by setting the
>password_life_time profile parameter to oblige them to change his/her
>password.
>4- That's it! You have decrypted password next time users change their
>own ones.
>

>Javier Pflaum
>Data Security Analyst
>CTi Movil S.A. (Argentina)
>Jpflaum_at_cti.com.ar
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email