Rowid ranges in Oracle 8

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 23:09:09 GMT

There's an article on Jonathan Lewis's site about constructing rowid ranges for doing large updates. But the article says it's only for Oracle 7 and it doesn't work for Oracle 8 whose rowids look very different.

I'm wondering if something simpler would work, for selects I would think something like this should work but I'm not sure:

select rowid r,tbl.* from tbl where rowid > :p0 and rownum < :p1 then start each select with the last rowid you read from the previous query.

That doesn't buy parallelism though, only being able to break it up into smaller queries. And it doesn't solve the problem for updates. I'm wondering how to do my large updates in oracle 8. I think I have to do something like these rowid ranges but I'm not clear how to implement them.

--
greg Received on Wed Feb 09 2000 - 17:09:09 CST