Re: Can't Get Oracle to Start During Boot: Sys V

From: <raju_pillai_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:02:55 GMT

Cory, did you connect to system before you issued the startup command. If you don't at that SVRMGR prompt issue CONNECT INTERNAL and then issue the command STARTUP. If you don't have script to bring up listener automatically, you need to issue LSNRCTL START at the $ prompt or just START at LSNRCTL prompt.
Its the same way to shutdown, after connecting you issue the command SHUTDOWN and STOP listener.

However if you want to automate the startup and shutdown of oracle at boot time,there is a script called start.ora and shut.ora some where in the oracle software directory. I cannot remember the exact location off my head. Do a search on the box, for that file. However, yo don't use Oracle at all time, its better to start and stop oracle manually.

I hope this helps. Have fun..

Raju

In article <387e3aef.21240699_at_news.jsc.nasa.gov>,   cory-p_at_usa.net (Cory Phillips) wrote:
> I installed Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux. Once installation was complete,
> the installer left Oracle running and I was able to log into the
> demo account (scott/tiger) and view some tables.
>
> I didn't know how to shut Oracle down, so I exited SQL Plus and
> shutdown the machine. I don't know if Oracle shut down cleanly.
>
> At a later point in time, I tried to set up my machine to start
> Oracle at boot time. Linux uses the System V boot process as
> opposed to BSD style.
>
> I put the dbora script in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory.
> I then created links to the dbora file like so:
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K10dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K10dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora
>
> However, it does not start Oracle when I reboot.
>
> I have also tried starting the database by logging into
> the oracle account (group dba) and using the sever manager command
> to start the database.
> SVRMGRL> startup
>
> But I get an Oracle error message stating insufficient
> privilages.
>
> When I first installed Oracle my thoughts were I didn't wanting it
> starting Oracle during boot because I may not use it each time
> and there was no point in it being resident in memory. I just
> thought I would start the server whenever I needed it.
>
> I have not been able to get Oracle to run since my initial install.
> Any thoughts on what the problem may be?
>
> Cory Phillips

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 09 2000 - 09:02:55 CST