Re: Oracle 8i, RH 6.1, "not logged on", and FREE BEER

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:53:44 -0800

Matt Luker wrote:

> I'm at my wits end, and I would love someone to come to my rescue.
> As a part of this desparation, I am offering a six pack of a fine
> microbrewery to the person who helps me with my problem. You may
> choose from Magic Hat, Saranac, Blue Moon, or Sam Adams. Whatever
> type you want.
>
> I have tried and failed to get 8i running on my RedHat 6.1 machine.
> It is currently running 2.2.14 with the kernel changes that are
> recommended from Oracle--NOTE: this changed nothing. It still fails
> the same way.
>
> Machine:
> - dual SMP Celeron 500 system
> - 512M of RAM
> - RedHat 6.1
> - latest GNOME/Enlightenment, i.e. "October" plus latest releases
> - 33.6G of HDD space, a logical partition belonging completely
> to Oracle.
>
> The problem: I get around all the JRE stuff and the installation is
> cranking. No matter how I try to create the database, it always
> fails. That is, whether or not I patch it, whether or not I run
> dbassist as a part of the install or wait until it is all installed,
> whether I try to let dbassist run the installation or save to script
> and run it by hand, it always fails with the same error, in the
> same part of the DB creation script:
>
> ORA-01012: not logged on
>
> This happens in the first creation script, quarkrun.sh:
>
> connect internal
> startup nomount pfile =
> /usr/local/oracle/product/8.1.5/admin/quark/pfile/initquark.ora
> CREATE DATABASE "quark"
> maxdatafiles 254
> maxinstances 8
> maxlogfiles 32
> character set US7ASCII
> national character set US7ASCII
>
> Right here. It tries to create the database, and I get the ORA-01012.
> No matter what I try, no matter what web page directions I follow,
> it ALWAYS does this. After this error, an oracle instance is present
> in "ps aux", but it is effectively stillborn, responding only to
> SHUTDOWN ABORT.
>
> Needless to say, I not only sound frustrated, I AM frustrated. I have
> had no help from LinuxCare--they know less than I do. I had a colleague
> who is an Oracle DBA log into my machine remotely, and he too is
> stumped.
>
> So I could really use some help. :-)
>
> If you can get me running this database, I will send you beer. It's
> that simple.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> --
> Please email me at kostyaNO_SPAM_at_lucide.com
> Remove the spam-poison.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

From a previous post (regarding 805):
1. Make sure that you have installed this packages:

   compat-binutils-5.2-2.9.1.0.23.1.i386.rpm
   compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1.i386.rpm
   compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1.i386.rpm
   compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1.i386.rpm
   compat-libs-5.2-1.i386.rpm

2. Make sure that you have installed kernel source (needed for relinking)
3. Install Oracle RDBMS and other products. Warning: DO NOT CREATE DB OBJECTS
4. Get the compressed patch file glibcpatch.tgz from Oracle Support, Reference Bug 878586
5. You must apply glibc patch BEFORE you create database.
6. Apply the patch
7. It should work!

This was posted by Andrzej Rajczakowski of TETA S.A.

Hth,
--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle Received on Wed Feb 09 2000 - 17:53:44 CST