Oracle 8i, RH 6.1, "not logged on", and FREE BEER

From: Matt Luker <kostya_1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:29:45 GMT

I'm at my wits end, and I would love someone to come to my rescue. As a part of this desparation, I am offering a six pack of a fine microbrewery to the person who helps me with my problem. You may choose from Magic Hat, Saranac, Blue Moon, or Sam Adams. Whatever type you want.

I have tried and failed to get 8i running on my RedHat 6.1 machine. It is currently running 2.2.14 with the kernel changes that are recommended from Oracle--NOTE: this changed nothing. It still fails the same way.

Machine:
- dual SMP Celeron 500 system

The problem: I get around all the JRE stuff and the installation is cranking. No matter how I try to create the database, it always fails. That is, whether or not I patch it, whether or not I run dbassist as a part of the install or wait until it is all installed, whether I try to let dbassist run the installation or save to script and run it by hand, it always fails with the same error, in the same part of the DB creation script:

ORA-01012: not logged on

This happens in the first creation script, quarkrun.sh:

connect internal
startup nomount pfile =
/usr/local/oracle/product/8.1.5/admin/quark/pfile/initquark.ora CREATE DATABASE "quark"

   maxdatafiles 254
   maxinstances 8
   maxlogfiles 32
   character set US7ASCII
   national character set US7ASCII

Right here. It tries to create the database, and I get the ORA-01012. No matter what I try, no matter what web page directions I follow, it ALWAYS does this. After this error, an oracle instance is present in "ps aux", but it is effectively stillborn, responding only to SHUTDOWN ABORT. Needless to say, I not only sound frustrated, I AM frustrated. I have had no help from LinuxCare--they know less than I do. I had a colleague who is an Oracle DBA log into my machine remotely, and he too is stumped.

So I could really use some help. :-)

If you can get me running this database, I will send you beer. It's that simple.

Thanks,
Matt
--

  Please email me at kostyaNO_SPAM_at_lucide.com   Remove the spam-poison.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:29:45 CST