Re: Does oracle provide encryption function??

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:51:41 -0500

A copy of this was sent to javierpf_at_usa.net (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:17:53 GMT, you wrote:

>In article <B4188A518787D311BE9700805FE4372712B6FC_at_Manticore.pcb>,
> "Vitek" <victor_at_percombank.kiev.ua> wrote:
>> you can use dbms_crypto_toolkit package
>>
>> "A.K SIM" <ak_sim_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I am trying to do the follwing validation in my program....
>> >
>> > if (encrypted(entered password) = dba_user.password) then
>> > valid_password := true;
>> > else
>> > valid_password := flase;
>> > end if;
>> >

>> > Does oracle provide function to encode the entered password????
>> >
>> > Any helps will be appreciated!!!
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>Hi all people!!
>

>Could you tell me how Oracle stores the passwords?. I mean, what
>encryptation method Oracle uses?. Is there a tool to decrypt the
>passwords?.

they are not encrypted. they are stored with a one way digest (hash).

take the username, the password plus a 'salt' -- grind them together, get a hash. thats the password you see. when someone gives us a username/password to login -- we add the salt, grind them togehter and compare the hashes.

you cannot get the password back from the database.

>Thanks.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 15:51:41 CST