Archiving - V8.1.5

From: Graham Potts <graham_at_pncl.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:04:55 -0000

Hi,

I'm just transferring a database to V8.1.5 and considering using a standby database on a remote host to provide a hot backup in case I lose my production database. The remote will be on the same LAN so transmission times should not be a problem.

I've read through all the docs on the subject and am left with a couple of questions which I can't seem to get an answer to.

  1. Is there a 'recommended' way to calculate the size that redo logs should be? I have tended to accept the default size of around 500k and have three of them.
  2. I do a full cold database backup once per week, at which time I move the archive directory to one side and create a new empty directory. I then backup the database files and the 'old' redo logs to tape and then delete the old redo log directory. Is there any reason for keeping this directory around any longer? The docs are a bit short on advice about how long to hang on to archived redo logs. Do the archived logs received by the standby database end up in the log_archive_dest for that database? What do I do about clearing them away if so?
  3. It seems that I can set an archive destination to my remote standby database as OPTIONAL. Why would I want to do that? The documentation seems a little unclear about this. I want the primary database to hang up if the standby cannot be updated (presumably giving CANNOT CONNECT UNTIL FREED type messages) until all the archived logs have been transferred. The doc seems to suggest that the primary database would give up trying if the remote database is unavailable and would overwrite my redo logs. Does setting the destination to MANDATORY mean that the primary will hang until it has been able to transmit the logs to my standby?

Any comments on the above would be most appreciated! I am going to give this a good test out but would appreciate a better understanding of what is going on!!

Cheers,
Graham Potts Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:04:55 CST