Re: Sun SPARC Solaris 7 -- SEMMNS and SEMMSL

From: Srinivasa R Kamabathula <srnvk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:08:11 GMT

Hi:
There is lot of difference between having multiple schemas and multiple databases. If something goes wrong in a schema, it may effect the whole database. Let me put it this way, in my company we have a different database for every application. We can have all in one database. The server may not be able to handle all the apps. Even if it can handle, its better to have different databases because it an application needs recycling, only that application is effected. By having all apps in one database, the manageability is limited. You need to co-ordinate many apps. So it is the convinience of management.

Hope this clarified some points.

-Srini

In article <389FB52A.C1D8151B_at_rationalconcepts.com>,   "C. Ferguson" <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com> wrote:
> Let me start off by saying, I can't answer your question, but your
question
> raises questions in my mind...so here goes and hopefully others can
reason
> this out for me.
>
> Why do you need multiple databases? Why not different schemas in one?
 I'm
> interested to hear the driving arguments for choosing multiple
databases vs.
> multiple schemas in one...
>
> Anyone care to clarify this issue?
>
> tia,
> cindy
>
> tiny anklet bells wrote:
>
> > I'm running a bunch of Oracle 8 databases on a Sun SPARC Solaris 7
box.
> > I need to adjust the SEMMSL and SEMMNS kernel parameters to
accomodate
> > a couple of new databases (several separate databases are required
for
> > development/testing purposes here). I know that if I set semaphore
> > parameters too high, I can break the system so hard it won't boot.
> > Trouble is that my sysadmin doesn't know what the max values are, or
> > where to find out. How can I find out the max values of these
parameters
> > for our server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Natalka Roshak

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 10:08:11 CST