O733 - corruption of a FK

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:52:35 +0000

Hi,

A customer has a Digital cluster of two NT servers sharing a RAID array.

This morning one of the servers died (mechanical problem), but everything else seemed OK.

Until... we came across the following Oracle error when trying to update a row:

ORA-08102 index key not found, obj# num, dba num num

Cause: The system detected a possible inconsistency in an index. This is an internal error message that is not normally issued.

We could make no changes to this item until we dropped the FK index it referred to. We could see that the contained value was incorrect - it had a '}' instead of an expected character!

How could the index become corrupt? Is it likely that it only affects this one item? How can we do a sanity check of the database?

Andy
--
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request