Listener Problem on Redhat 5.2

From: Greg Akins <gakinsNOgaSPAM_at_gatewayhealthplan.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:52:18 -0800

I just finished installing Oracle 8.0.5 on Redhat 5.2. Those directions at jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle worked great!

However, after the install I tried to connect to my Oracle instance from my WinNT box. The Windows box has Oracle8 Client and I edited the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

My Linux box says the listener is running...

If I use TNSPING against the Oracle instance, it returns successfully.

However, when I try to use svrmgr, or sqlplus to connect to the instance, I get a "cannot resolve name" message.

My only thought is that there is a naming conflict somewhere, but that is certainly a stab in the dark.

Anybody run up against this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-greg