Re: Q: oracle unicode references ?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:10:35 GMT

I've tested it with SqlPLus and a Russian Keyboard Driver (Parawin). As for displaying it, I used Russian Windows + SqlPlus. All Windows have 'default fonts', so if you try to display anything but ASCII on a regular windows system it will display garbage, you will have to moidify your default Windows fonts... Also Win95 and 98 don't support 'unicode', that might be the reason your clients are not working. Windows NT and 2000 are supposed to support Unicode and even have something called Unipad.
Since all our clients are browsers I can't really help you, neither have I tested it with a browser yet.

On 7 Feb 2000 18:19:04 GMT, hjp_at_enkur.wsr.ac.at (Peter J. Holzer) wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2000 22:35:13 GMT, NetComrade
><andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
>>You'll need client computers that can type and display data in other
>>languages then English (or ASCII). For example I have a Russian
>>Windows 98 computer :). was able to test my 'utf8' successfully.
>
>How did you test it?
>
>I've set NCHAR character set to UTF8 (the CHAR character set is still
>WE8ISO8859P1).
>
>Now I can insert and query data fine using sqlplus, if the NLS_LANG
>variable matches the character set of the terminal.
>
>However, when I try this using perl or java, it doesn't work. While
>inserting data works, the data returned by select seems to have
>converted from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8 once too often.
>
> hp
>
>--
> _ | Peter J. Holzer | Nobody should ever have to be
>|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA | ashamed if they have a secret love
>__/ | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work. -- Donald E. Knuth

In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email