Re: Q: oracle unicode references ?

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp_at_enkur.wsr.ac.at>
Date: 7 Feb 2000 18:19:04 GMT

On Sat, 05 Feb 2000 22:35:13 GMT, NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
>You'll need client computers that can type and display data in other
>languages then English (or ASCII). For example I have a Russian
>Windows 98 computer :). was able to test my 'utf8' successfully.

How did you test it?

I've set NCHAR character set to UTF8 (the CHAR character set is still WE8ISO8859P1). Now I can insert and query data fine using sqlplus, if the NLS_LANG variable matches the character set of the terminal.

However, when I try this using perl or java, it doesn't work. While inserting data works, the data returned by select seems to have converted from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8 once too often.

        hp

--

   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth