Re: Bequeth Listnener

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 08:03:10 -0500

pete_karanikas_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Seem to be having some problems with the BEQUETH listener. Just wish I
> understood it's purpose a bit better. A brief description would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Pete

This brings up another question in my mind.

Since BEQ can only be used when the host and client are on the same machine I'm wondering whether there would be advantages/disadvantages to running a daemon client on the host machine and have a client application on another server or perhaps on a PC send sql to the client via a socket connection and receive responses back via a socket. This would eliminate the need for sqlnet on the other server or PC. But at what cost? Is there anything inherent within sqlnet which would be faster.

Of course, I'm not thinking of a common, ordinary, garden variety of daemnon. It would have to be multi-threaded and would probably need to use message queus to communicate between a dispatcher and the child threads which would actually handle the transactions with the database. The only thing I can think of is that if the application were a OLTP there might be some timing problems, but if it were some type of linear process (read: batch process) then I'd think it wouldn't be a big deal. Received on Mon Feb 07 2000 - 07:03:10 CST