Max. sessions in Oracle!

From: Amulya Jena <jenaa_at_mahindrabt.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 09:41:16 +0000

Hi all,

I am using oracle server version 7.3.4.2. This question is related to the SESSIONS_PER_USER parameter. The requirement is to set this parameter to one to a profile so that all the users in that profile will

have only one session. The problem is if a user opened up a session and forgotten where has he/she opened up that. Now if he/she tries to open another session, he/she will get an oracle error 'ERROR: ORA-02391: exceeded simultaneous SESSIONS_PER_USER limit'. As a DBA I killed the old incative session of the user by using "ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'SID,SERIAL#'" command. The status field changed to 'KILLED' while selecting V$SESSION table for the user. Even after killing the user's session, the user gets the same ORA-2391 error while trying to connect oracle again.

Is there any solution to this problem? I want the old session information should be removed from the oracle level as soon as I kill the session. This is because as long as this entry is there, Oracle does not allow any new session.

Please post your answer.

Reagrds,
Amulya Received on Mon Feb 07 2000 - 03:41:16 CST