Re: Bequeth Listnener

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 22:26:50 +0000

In article <87civs$nih$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, pete_karanikas_at_hotmail.com writes
>Seem to be having some problems with the BEQUETH listener. Just wish I
>understood it's purpose a bit better. A brief description would be
>greatly appreciated.
>Pete

I've had lots of fun with this on NT lately.

Originally, I couldn't get bequeath to work without the listener.

There are several things here, you need an oracle sid in the registry nder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Oracle for it to work without a listener. The database create wizards create one, oradim does not.
So I set up a "LOCAL" environment variable which worked fine when not specifying an alias at connection time, but does need a listener - even if you specify your local alias as bequeath in the easy config wizard - so its not "really" bequeath then?!
However, if you have local set, then migration to a new version fails because local over-rides your default bequeath connection.

This info is the result of many long hours to oracle support, and is not clearly understood at either end of the phone.

In my opinion, the documentation for this is seriously lacking, and support were unable to provide any helpful docs. We got here pretty much just by trial and error.

Steve
P.S
It's even more complex in 8i, for no obvious reason. The listener has always been unfriendly, now it's positively hostile. P.P.S
Disclaimer, the above is my personal opinion and it's late and I'm grumpy. Received on Sun Feb 06 2000 - 16:26:50 CST