Re: forcedirectio on; more disks, performance degrading? (Solaris, Veritas VM, Oracle 7)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:11:36 -0000

This is just a guess, but might you have a problem with block-size mismatches ?

I note your db_block_size is 2K.
If your memory page is 4K and you are
bypassing the file-system buffer, will your direct writes have to do a read into memory, copy in 2K, write cycle (thus roughly doubling the I/O time), whereas your previous setup is more likely on a busy system to have the relevant 4K already buffered in the file system buffer and therefore not have to do the extra read ?

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk